Thursday, March 01, 2007

Blogpower developments

As almost all of us know, our new homepage is Tom's Pageflakes page but he has suggested and I concur, that we should retain a forum page such as this, linked from Pageflakes.

Lady Ellee has suggested we need to have the word Blogpower up front and Defending the Blog as our tagline. This is fine but we then need to set up a new blog, under the Blogspot system. Or else we choose another, monetary free system such as Wordpress.

My suggestion is that:

1 we retain this page as our archive, our history, put in a tagline to state this and suspend the comments facility;
2 we set up another forum type page for fora and I'd like your thoughts on this matter as to the format which would best serve our needs;
3 we put the pageflakes banner on our sites instead of the current banner [see Tom's own site] and I'll be doing this as soon as I can resolve my template issue;
4 we expand our administrative committee to include maybe five persons;
5 we place a time limit on this changeover of this coming Sunday, March 4th, to achieve all this.

Your thoughts?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jsmes, Are we sure the Pageflakes thing is stable enough and accessible from all browsers? Apple's Safari doesn't work with it for sure. I would leave it in Beta for a while and get feedback from members before making it the official homepage. I had rather hoped that a more technically-gifted member might be inspired by the concept to design us a more professional site.

Are you and Ellee able to edit the Pageflakes site? I have authorised that, but I am not sure if it's working. Part of my idea was a "duty editor" rota, to take on the (light) tasks of changing the "site of the week" and changing the content of the "editor's" box. If that works, then fine and more members can be authorises. If it doesn't, then the Pageflakes site would have to be maintained solely by me and would not be a useful community resource.

youdontknowme said...

Like I have said it doesn't work for me. The page loads then 2 seconds later it reloads and continues to do that.

Shades said...

It is fine for me with Firefox and XP. Getting people to change links by Sunday is a bit hopeful- some Blogpowerers haven't posted in weeks...

Bill Haydon said...

I really like all these ideas, I'm just not entirely sure what they mean..I'll get my coat.

James Higham said...

Yes, Ian, that was a little ambitious but if people do what they can.

The otehr guys - I'll look at it all on Sunday when I can get a chance.

Ian Appleby said...

I agree with the new home page and with expanding the junta committee, but I don't think we need to ditch DTB as a forum quite yet - the title can be changed quite easily without changing the URL(I'll mail you, James), and there's something to be said for maintaining a group blog in a recognisable blogging format. Any of us can write to James for posting rights, assuming there's an issue we want to raise, and the comments allow the rest of us to respond. Is there something I'm missing, there?

James Higham said...

So, we're getting closer to where we want to go. Slow but sure is a good method. I've made the alteration to the header now which was requested.

The Pageflakes page will be linked tomorrow etc.

ThunderDragon said...

I have made a banner that could be used to link to the RSS page if so wished.

James Higham said...

Top banner. Think we should use it.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Sorry - only just read this. I don't understand it all and I don't know what I'm supposed to do, I'm afraid! Can't do technical.

James Higham said...

Nothing technical just yet, Welshcakes. Just talking about it. When/if it gets technical, one of our whiz-kids will help you.

Unknown said...

Did Clinton fire her first shot?

This is from the NY Times on Al Gore. Looks like he is preparing to run for president and the Clinton camp is worried.

From a Rapt Audience, a Call to Cool the Hype