Monday, January 15, 2007

Unruly Blogrolls

*Update* The revised code below works on Imagined Community. I have some hopes that it may, therefore, work elsewhere as well. Apologies for any confusion. */Update*

The full, unadulterated blogroll takes up considerable space in the sidebar. Shani suggested that we look for a scrollable option, and, by Jove, I think I've found one:

<!-- Blogpower scrollable blogrolling code begins -->
<div style="width: 150px; height: 250px; overflow: scroll; border: solid thin gray;">
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript"
src="http://rpc.blogrolling.com/display.php?
r=e55ad1d2d72ae49253ccd8343b7b2fd8">
</script>
</div>
<!-- Blogpower scrollable blogrolling code ends -->


Which should give you something like this:



Blogger won't let me use Javascript within the body of a post, so the above box actually contains an HTML blogroll, just to show it should work for both options; simply use the div tags I provide above immediately before and after the code for the blogroll itself.

For those of you who know CSS, you can play about with the sizes and colours of the box and its border, as well as how the code contained is displayed. The key attribute is overflow: scroll which gives you the scroll bar option. Hope this helps tidy up your sidebars. Let me know how you get on.

* Edited 19/5/2007 to reflect the new URL for the HTML blogroll code.

4 comments:

James Higham said...

Ian has done a better version of the html blogroll and we're currently working on getting that to you.

_ said...

Partly to accommodate the longer blogroll, I have modified my blogger template to have a side panel on either side. (I know some others on the roll have done this also).

I've posted some instructions on how to do it in case someone wants to give it a try. The instructions may look a little daunting, but it's not so difficult once you get going.

http://onyxstone.blogspot.com/2007/01/3-column-blog.html

Fortune favours the bold!

Anonymous said...

*weeping emoticon* I have two issues. One is that I am on Wordpress.com - the other is that I am techno-terrible. I have tried having different friends help and no matter what I cannot get the blogroll installed properly. I have done some of them individually but I would like to have the entire roll. Help.....

Anonymous said...

Onyx Stone, those instructions were just the job, thank you. Any visual infelicities in my new look are, of course, entirely down to me.